Council Meeting, January, 2015
Christ, Our Light! Parish
Pastoral Council Meeting
MINUTES January 27,
2015 7:00PM CHRIST, OUR LIGHT!
Meeting called by Father Don Demmer
Jack Alfes, Pat Dobosenski, Judy Kline, Mike Parker, Kaitlin
Popielarz, Lori Andrzejewski, Marcia Ouellette, Karen
Roush, Linda Capp, Beth Gooch, Tony DiMarco
Absent Paul Bozymowski and Jerry Rauch
1. I. Opening Prayer by Father Don and Father’s Report- Father
gave information about the Finance Commission to both the Parish
Council and the Finance Commission. Both groups were meeting
together initially. He reported that we had recently passed the
diocesan audit. He mentioned the following things that had been
accomplished since July… landscaping, garden statues, stations of
the cross, parking lot resurfacing, new roof with air conditioning units,
caulking of windows, boiler removal, new tables and chairs, portable
walls acquired, etc. When the Finance Commission members left, our
first order of business was to elect Chairperson- Jerry Rauch, Vice-
Chairperson- Mike Parker, and Secretary- Pat Dobosenski.
1. II. Parish Council Member reports: 1. Kaitlin Popielarz reported
that the Young Couples or Singles Group (ages 18-35) had had a
couple of events and was planning more. She said Chris Gautwell
from the Archdiocese would be passing along activities that would
include our Young (18-35 age) group. There are groups meeting with
a “Theology on Tap” theme that they hoped to encourage. Kaitlin
wants to hand out flyers to young people at masses and be more
personal about her invitation to join this group. Father said that would
be fine. Maybe even putting an announcement on the electronic sign
on Coolidge would draw some more people in. She mentioned that
Bob Mervak, Isabel Mervak, and Jim Nelson would be at the Onyx in
Royal Oak on February 28th and this group would like to encourage
others to meet there. Beth suggested that Kaitlin contact Renee
Sardu, a Christ, Our Light! member but youth minister from St. Mary’s,
about other ideas for the new group.
1. Commission Reports
Beth Gooch presented the following from Joann Bonahoom-
• Celebration of the Christmas Nativity on
12/15/14. Grades 1-7 led the sing-a-long. Grade 8
performed the Christmas story. Grades 1-2 sang the
final song. A great time was had by all.
• Students were out for the Christmas holiday 12/15/14-
1/5/15 and then observed the MLK day with a break.
• Parents of those making their Confirmation will attend
a meeting 1/26/15 with Father Don. Confirmation is
scheduled for October or November of 2015
• Family Life Beth and Malisa are looking for adult or
teens for Sunday 11 a.m. mass Liturgy of the Word
leaders for the children.
• Family Fun Fridays (2nd Fridays of the month, 7 p.m.)
The “no rehearsal, sing-along style” narration of the
Nativity on December 5th was enjoyed by all with
almost 40 children participating. No January Friday
Fun because of the Frank Runyeon presentation.
• Vacation Bible School.. work with set design starts in
• Good Friday Bible School (4/3/15, 12-3 p.m.) Planning
begins in February, Pre-registration in March.
• Youth Ministry (Elaine Cervera) Christmas gathering
with the group and a visit to Sunrise Senior Living
Center to sing Christmas carols.
• January- joined with over 400 teens from across the
AOD to serve several agencies in Detroit in
remembrance of MLK. Our teens, including Parish
Council member, Jack Alfs, joined others at the St.
Dominic Outreach Center.
• The teen bake sale held 1/24-1/25 was held to offset
the cost of attending the CYO Rainbow conference in
Detroit 2/7-2/8. Enough funds were raised to cover
the cost for all teens interested in attending. Currently
5 teens will go for sure.
• Submitted by Marcia Ouellette
• The following groups were helped by the giving of
Christ, Our Light! parishioners during the Christmas
time of Giving… 1. Special Needs at Christ, Our Light!
2. St. Luke 3. Macomb, Oakland Reach-Out Center 4.
Corpus Christi Parish 5. 4 selected families from
within the community 6. Justice initiative Program.
• Betty Sheehan facilitated a Day of Reflection on
December 17th. The reflection centered around our
own individual Faith Journey as it compared to the
• Rediscover Catholicism All parish families were given
the opportunity to take this free book. 700 copies
were made available over the Christmas weekend.
Plans are being made for discussion groups to meet
about this book.
• The evening with Frank Runyeon was well attended by
160 individuals on Saturday, January 10th. Frank
shared the Gospel of Luke: Stories on the Road. It
was well received.
• Upcoming events… Baby Bottle Drive for “Precious
Feet” infants January 31- February 1 … Adult Bible
Study (Wednesdays Feb. 4, 11, 18, and 25th.)…
Evangelization Gathering (Thursday 2/12/15 at 6:30 in
Parish Hall.)…Marriage /Family Weekend (2/14-
C. Vicarate Report
• Tony didn’t have an official report but did comment
that Christ, Our Light! has a budget with the Vicariate.
Tony offered to forward information that could be
helpful to Kaitlin for the Young Adults Group from the
1. IV. New business: Kaitlin reported that she brought three friends to church with her
last weekend and they all enjoyed the experience… the music, the sermon, the
friendliness of the people, etc. They may be returning soon. Pat mentioned that some
of the new members listed in The Spotlight were former members of St. Columban who
had moved to St. Hugo or St. Thomas Moore churches. They have found their way back
because of the church we are.
2. V. Pat mentioned a Lenten calendar idea that had been used years ago at St.
Columban’s. She will talk with MaryAnn about sending it in the letter going to homes in
the parish along with other Lenten announcements.
3. VI. Closing prayer by Father Don