Religious Education Minutes, October, 2017
Education Commission Minutes
Religious Education (Joann Bonahoom)
Monday night formation classes for grades one through Confirmation prep began on Monday, September 25, from 6-7:30PM. We currently have 100 registered students.
- October 2: Program-wide safe environment training in all classrooms. This is the AOD’s Circle of Grace program , provides age-appropriate training for students K-8.
- October 30: First Family Gathering for “Saints Around the World” program. Children report at 6PM. Families are invited for a 6:30PM presentation. A reception will follow. In this program, each grade will present a saint with a game, skit, dance, song, or informational 2-5 minute presentation.
- October 16: First Reconciliation parents met with Father Don to discuss the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation. (We have 26 students). Parents educate their children in the home about the sacrament and materials were distributed and explained. The next meeting for parents and children is Thursday, November 16 at 7PM in the Social Hall.
Our High School Confirmation Group began their Fall session on August 28th. They will finish their fall Sunday program on Sunday, November 5th. The Confirmation date has been set for Thursday, November 9, at a 7PM mass. Bishop Fisher will preside. 21 students will be confirmed.
- October 28: Retreat at Guardian Angels from 9am until 4:30pm.
- November 5: Reconciliation, Interviews, and rehearsal for Confirmation
- November 9: Candidates report with their sponsors at 6:30PM. Mass at 7PM.
Preschool classes for ages 3 through the Kindergarten year and Liturgy of the Word for Children for grades 1-6 began on Sunday, October 1. Pre-school is offered during the 9:30 and 11am Masses. LWC is offered at the 11am mass only. We have 20 students registered for pre-school currently. LWC has numbered 20-25 students weekly.
High School Youth Ministry: (Elaine Cervera)
October 22nd, 2017 –National Catholic Youth Conference Participant Meeting @
Shrine High School. This year we are taking 12 teens and 3 adults!
October 29th, 2017 – Combined Youth Group Halloween Party@ St. Mary Royal Oak
November 4th-5th- OUTSIDE DRIVE THRU-Bottle drive after all masses.
Parent & teen volunteers needed
November 12th, 2017 5:30 pm -8:00 pm Veterans Day Service Project to pack
Christmas boxes for active service members.
Family Fun (Monthly, First Fridays): Will begin first Friday in November due to an October conflict with the picture directory photo sessions. Mothers’ Fellowship Ministry: (Elaine Cervera) We met for weekly successful sessions for Bible Study and fellowship, with both morning and afternoon options on alternating Tuesdays and are seeking those who can assist with childcare. Good Friday Bible School: (Malisa Burt/Beth Gooch)The team is in the process of considering possible themes. (3/30/18) Vacation Bible School: The 2018 theme is SHIPWRECKED: Rescued by Jesus!