Education Meeting, November, 2015
Education Commission Minutes
Religious Education Report
In Religious Formation classes, we finished the month of October with our All Saints Family Gathering – This year – The Old Testament Review. Each class hosted a 3-5 minute presentation on a holy person from the Old Testament. Families were invited and a reception followed. This is an annual team-building event.
- We did not meet on November 2 because of the parish celebration of All Souls Day.
- On November 8, twenty-one of our teens in grades 8-12, participated in the packing of boxes for our current military. They gathered the items donated by parishioners into a packing box and wrote a personal note to the soldier chosen. Karen Roush coordinated.
- On November 10, eleven students in the High School Confirmation program received the Sacrament of Confirmation and were sealed with the Spirit. Bishop Cepeda presided at the Confirmation Mass. A reception followed. (It was a beautiful ceremony).
- We DO have class on Monday, November 23.
- Our students will participate in the parish Thanksgiving food drive by contributing one non-perishable item per child on the next two Mondays. They are part of our parish, and taking part in these parish-wide events fosters unity.
Our December is always busy. On December 5, students receive First Reconciliation at 11AM followed by a Stone Soup Luncheon.
Advent will be celebrated in the classrooms. The Nativity Christmas Play will be performed by our Confirmation Prep class in a Family Gathering scheduled for Monday, Dec. 14 @6:30
Children’s Liturgy of The Word: (Sundays 11am Mass/Beth Gooch)
Began Sept. 27th with much enthusiasm and an average of 10 children in attendance a each week
Family Fun Fridays: (Quarterly, Friday 7pm) Family FunChristmas Pageant 12/04, 6pm
Vacation Bible School: (7/18-7/22/16, 9am-12noon) Cave/Cavern theme
Good Friday Bible School: (3/25, 1-3pm) Topic TBA
High School Youth Ministry: (Every other Sunday, 6-8pm/Elaine Cervera)
The Youth group held two meetings in October and attended a fun outing at Three Cedars Farm in Northville. There were approximately 60 teens from other Detroit area parishes. We enjoyed a BBQ, cider & donuts, hayrides, a corn maze, and a barn dance. We look forward to attending next year, the kids had fun! We leave for the National Youth Conf. this Thursday morning! We will be traveling to Indianapolis with just over 300 teens from the AOD. The youth group is planning the “2nd annual Christmas party Dec. 6th. The teens had a lot of fun last year participating in a White elephant gift exchange..
Young Adult Group: (Kaitlin Popielarz) November 15: Theology on Tap at Atwater in the Park with Franciscan Friars and the Solanus Casey Center’s Young Adult Ministry Group.