Education Commission Miinutes, October, 2016 - January, 2017
Education Commission Minutes
Religious Education (JoAnn Bonahoom)
September 18: Catechetical Sunday. There was a significant turn out of catechists
- October 24 was our first family gathering for our All Saints Revue. Classrooms worked together to present a saint for the total group.
- October 31 – no class (Halloween)
November Mission Statement for Religious Education approved by Council
CHRIST, OUR LIGHT! FAITH FORMATION
To recognize that all children are created in the image and likeness of God and to strive to form faith-filled individuals who know God’s love. Through our program and supporting education in the home, we pray that children will receive and embrace the tenets of our faith through instruction and discussion, develop a prayer life, prepare for and receive the sacraments, model the life of Jesus through love of God, others, and themselves, help provide for those in need, respect the dignity of all living beings, and ultimately form a loving relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Confirmation was held on Thursday, November 3, with Bishop Hanchon. 15 were confirmed at a 7PM Mass. A reception followed in the social hall.
- Food collection to coordinate with parish initiative to feed the hungry
- Practice fire drill held on Monday, November 14.
- First Reconciliation will take place on Saturday, December 3, at 11AM.
- Our next family gathering will be our Christmas Pageant performed by our Confirmation Prep class on Monday, December 12, at 6:30PM. Due to inclement weather, pageant has been moved to January 9 at 7PM
- Nativity/Epiphany pageant was held on Monday, January 9. 8th graders performed; grades 1-7 formed the choir and families were invited.
- Parents of Confirmation students met with Father Demmer on Monday, January 13, at 6:45. Materials were distributed. Students will be lecturing at Mass January through March in preparation.
- January 30: Father Don blessed throats at Monday night formation and explained the meaning to students.
Education Commission Minutes (con’t)
Pre-school & LWC
- Preschool during 9:30 & 11AM Masses have been well attended. 20 – 25 have registered.
- LWC has been held consistently during the 11AM Mass. The numbers keep growing. 22 attended last Sunday.
- No classes will be held on November 27 or February 19.Co
Family Life: (Beth Gooch/Malisa Burt)
Family Fun: The Sing Along Nativity took place on December 9th. The live music and Happy Birthday, Jesus celebration was well attended by 20 “cast members”, parents, parishioners, and friends. Feb 3rd is our 2017 Kick Off/Ice Cream Social.
Vacation Bible School: “Cave Quest, following Jesus, The Light of the World” was our most successful year thanks to our returning station leaders and the addition of 3 new core members! Our 14th VBS welcomed approximately 60 students led by 20 teens and adults. The decorations, a result of months of collaborative effort with Shrine, were passed on to St. Thomas Moore with the commitment that they will contribute next year. Proposed 2017 date: July 17-21st, with the theme Makers Fun Factory: Created by God, Built with a Purpose!
Good Friday Bible School: 4/14/2017, 12n-3pm,topic TBA
High School Youth Ministry: (Elaine Cervera)
Along with our regular monthly meetings at Christ, Our Light and Guardian Angels we enjoyed other events.
November 6th: Veteran’s Day Project (assemble care packages)
- Christmas Caroling @ Sunrise Senior Living in Troy-The teens sang lots of Christmas Carols to the residents in two different dining rooms. The residents enjoyed and sang along with us.
- 3rd annual Christ party & Gift Exchange. The teens played Christmas Games and exchanged gifts.
- Martin Luther King Service Day @ Faithful Giving Hands of Detroit. The teens traveled to Detroit to join over 300 other teens in various volunteer events. COLT (Christ, Our Light! Teens) were assigned to Faithful Giving Hands to play Bingo & make Valentine crafts with the residents.
- The teens will attend the Winter Jam concert at Auburns Hills. There will be 10 performing Christian Artists.
- The Ashe family is sponsoring a Packzi sale for the Youth Group. All proceeds are donated to the Youth Group. The sale will be the weekend of Feb. 25th after each mass.
This year the teens will gather the morning of the 25th to bake King cakes to raffle.