Education Commission Meeting, Oct. - Dec., 2016
Education Commission Minutes
Religious Education (JoAnn Bonahoom)
September 18: Catechetical Sunday. There was a significant turn out of catechists for the Education Commission Report – Religious Education
- October 24 was our first family gathering for our All Saints Revue. Classrooms worked together to present a saint for the total group.
- October 31 – no class (Halloween)
- Mission Statement for Religious Education was approved by Commission
CHRIST, OUR LIGHT! FAITH FORMATION
To recognize that all children are created in the image and likeness of God and to strive to form faith-filled individuals who know God’s love. Through our program and supporting education in the home, we pray that children will receive and embrace the tenets of our faith through instruction and discussion, develop a prayer life, prepare for and receive the sacraments, model the life of Jesus through love of God, others, and themselves, help provide for those in need, respect the dignity of all living beings, and ultimately form a loving relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Confirmation was held on Thursday, November 3, with Bishop Hanchon. 15 were confirmed at a 7PM Mass. A reception followed in the social hall.
- Food collection to coordinate with parish initiative to feed the hungry
- Practice fire drill held on Monday, November 14.
- First Reconciliation will take place on Saturday, December 3, at 11AM.
- Our next family gathering will be our Christmas Pageant performed by our Confirmation Prep class on Monday, December 12, at 6:30PM.
Pre-school & LWC
- Preschool during 9:30 & 11AM Masses have been well attended. 20 – 25 have registered.
- LWC has been held consistently during the 11AM Mass. The numbers keep growing. 22 attended last Sunday.
- No classes will be held on November 27.
Family Life: (Beth Gooch/Malisa Burt)
Family Fun: The Sing Along Nativity took place on December 9th. The live music and Happy Birthday, Jesus celebration was well attended by by 20 “cast members”, parents, parishioners, and friends.
Vacation Bible School: “Cave Quest, following Jesus, The Light of the World” was our most successful year thanks to our returning station leaders and the addition of 3 new core members! Our 14th VBS welcomed approximately 60 students led by 20 teens and adults. The decorations, a result of months of collaborative effort with Shrine, were passed on to St. Thomas Moore with the commitment that they will contribute next year. Proposed 2017 date: July 17-21st, with the theme Makers Fun Factory: Created by God, Built with a Purpose!
Good Friday Bible School: 4/14/2017, 12n-3pm,topic TBA
High School Youth Ministry: (Elaine Cervera)
November 6th: Veteran’s Day Project (assemble care packages)
November 13th: Youth Group at Guardian Angels
November 20th: Youth Group at Christ, Our Light!
November 27th: Youth Group at Guardian Angels
December: Activities will include Christmas Caroling, Giving Tree Shopping, Christmas White Elephant Party!